Tuesday, July 31, 2007

ME: 7/30/07 Keys

I have 2 sets of keys right now to worry about, but it should be 3. I can't find my keychain of keys to things in Maine . . . my house, my office, and 2 other rooms at work. I felt certain it was in the purse that I put on the top shelf in my closet that I dubbed the "Go To Maine" shelf. Now, I've been back in Texas two and a half months and I've touched every item I own once to decide whether to store it in Texas, take it to Maine, or sell it in the Estate Sale. And I still haven't seen the keys. I emptied the closet and re-filled it only with things to go to Maine . . . no keys. I called MRM back in Maine hoping that when I left her the key to my post office box that I had left it on the key ring with all the Maine keys. I knew I hadn't, but I was hoping. But alas, I hadn't. Then I began to wonder where I could've lost them. Were they in the Town Taxi that I used to drive me from Farmington to the airport on that last day? Did they fall out on one of my flights I took to come back to Texas? How much would it cost to replace all my work keys and how much trouble would I be in for losing them? So many questions.

Fast forward to today when I was packing the car. I knew what the big pieces were to go in the car (3 crates of books across the backseat, 2 crates in the back of the trunk, 2 suitcases, a garment bag, and a printer in the trunk) and then I would just fill in the nooks and crannies with "little stuff". Shoes in a shoebag were my favorite little thing to tuck in . . . that and stuff wrapped in canvas bags (one can never have enough canvas bags . . . but I was a good girl, I only kept 6 and put 18 in the estate sale). I had pretty much filled in the trunk and had one little spot left. It was perfect for one more pair of shoes. Hmmm, I'm looking in the closet and there are no more shoes. I look high, I look low. What will fit in that little nook? I notice a pair of hiking boots wrapped in a grocery store bag that I had put up on the top shelf pretty early on after getting back from Maine. We had just finished mud season in Maine when I left and I remembered that I wished I had these boots. Well, they were a little too big for my nook but I decided to take them out to the car and try them. And of course, you've already guessed what was under the boots. Shwew! There were the Maine keys. ☺ God is good!

How appropriate that the very last thing I pack for the trip to Maine is my key ring of keys to Maine.

Now the question is, when I get to Maine, where should I put my keys to Texas??

No comments: