Friday, May 30, 2008

5/30/08-11 Bertie Mayes the Bookstore Lady

How great is it to come back to reunion and get to see one of the bookstore ladies or dining services folks that you remember? Hollins is the kind of community where you literally knew everyone. This is Bertie Mayes who worked in the bookstore. We had an additional bond, her son Jimmy was in the class where I did my student teaching. We reminisced about Mrs. Allen, my supervising teacher, who was waiting for an adoption and got a baby girl when I'd only been there two or three weeks. So I was thrust into the full-time teaching gig earlier than expected. Bertie told me the story of how Jimmy woke up her and her husband at 2:00 in the morning all upset because "today is Miss Overall's last day and I have to get her a present." Bertie called her boss, Mrs. Pillow that morning and explained why she would be late, and then she and Jimmy went to Kroger, the only store open at that hour, and picked out a rose for Jimmy to give to me. She said that for years to come after that, he always compared his other teachers to Miss Overall. Wow. Pretty cool story to hear 30 years later!

No comments: