Tuesday, May 27, 2008

5/27/08 Shining Silver

Yesterday, on the way from the airport to the house, we stopped at Cathy's parents house. It was so great to see them! They've been adopted parents since Hollins days. As Cathy and her mom exchanged table cloths and candlesticks and discussed details of the wedding ceremony, it came out in conversation that Cathy's mom had not had a chance to polish the silver. I immediately volunteered to help out. I had no plans for Tuesday while Cathy was at work and I was well trained in the art of silver polishing (by my grandmother and my mother). They were both reluctant at first, but I fought the good fight and won.


So Cathy and I ran a few errands this morning, including a trip to Brown's Hardware store (see next blog entry), then she went to work and I stayed home to watch TV and polish silver. I had asked what other pieces I could polish in case I got on a roll and didn't want to stop at the wedding pieces alone. So Cathy showed me the rest of the collection (including some of Steve's family heirlooms that were already at her house). And that's what I did on Tuesday. I watched the end of a really bad movie (Employee of the Month) and then all of Failure to Launch. Meanwhile, I was polishing the whole time. I took a little break and borrowed some neighbor's wi-fi to check email. Then got back to the polishing while watching 3 episodes of CSI back to back. That was approximately five and a half hours of polishing but it was very fun (nice mindless activity to start off a summer vacation) and provided a great sense of accomplishment. This is only some of the silver that I polished:

No comments: