Monday, August 13, 2007

ME: 8/3/07 odometer: 21150 10:30am arrive Hollins

We came through Roanoke to get to Hollins and I hardly recognized it. I'd been back to Hollins for several reunions, but always went straight to campus, never went through town. It's really grown up. But according to Jan, we added about 30 minutes to the trip by going through town. Oh well. It may be a disadvantage to directions from googlemaps, but at least we didn't get lost. (no U-turns, Lindsay!)

We arrived at Jan's house on Faculty Road and didn't have to figure out which one was hers . . . she was sitting on her front porch waiting for us. :-) Her son was asleep on the living room couch, so we chatted in the front yard and then took a tour of campus. It was all new for Marty and I was thrilled that she got to see a place that is so special for me. But I was so glad that Jan was giving the tour instead of me because there were so many new things to see and know about that she knew that I wouldn't. It helps to have a classmate who serves as chaplain at your old university, eh? ;-)

~~I guess I don't have any photos of this. How sad is that?? I need to get some from Marty. I know she at least got a picture of Jan and me in the rocking chairs on the front porch of Main Dormitory.~~

The campus was as beautiful as always. It was a great tour and fabulous quality time with Jan. But it had to end too soon because we needed to get on the road. Jan graciously offered to fix us a lunch-to-go. It was so great! We had turkey sandwiches, grapes, cheese slices, and carrots. Delicious AND healthy as well as portable.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

What? No U-turns?! I must be mixing around the words or something...I must not be because I read it three times...Just kidding, it's normal. : )