Sunday, April 20, 2008

4/20/08 Book Recommendations

During my last couple of visits to Long Island, I've picked a children's book off the shelf and read it. I miss reading children's books. It used to be "part of the job" when I taught elementary school. I didn't get a chance to ask Grammar Queen yet, but I asked the 5 boys what book on their shelves they would recommend that I read--that way I didn't have to pick and I would learn a little more about each of the "godkids" and their generation.

Laser Boy recommended Champ by Marcia Thornton Jones. It was great! It's well-written and has a compelling plot. There are several morals in there, too, but they're not blatant or hokey. I really enjoyed that one. True to Blue recommended Down the Long Hills by Louis L'Amour. He's in 9th grade, so this isn't children's literature anymore. ;-) I've actually never read a Louis L'Amour book, so I was glad to have the opportunity. It didn't disappoint. This was a compelling and engaging read.


With just a little help from Mom, Hyper Boy recommended Gruffalo. What a hoot! Of course, any plot that promotes creativity and good problem solving is going to be a winner in my estimation.


Fletcher recommended The Sioux Runner. The inscription in the front of this copy is "Merry Christmas, 1924" so you know it's not a current book. Then again, Fire Shot recommended a classic, too. "I've enjoyed reading this several times," he told me as he handed over The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe. I hope I'll have time to finish all of the recommended books before I leave.

No comments: