Saturday, April 19, 2008

4/19/2008 Long Island here I come!

I left 45 minutes later than planned, but by 7:50 I was actually packed for 2 trips and ready for Spring Break! I drove to Portland first and attended a liturgical workshop by Dan Schutte at St. Patrick's church. I love Dan Schutte's music and have sung it both at All Saints back in Dallas and now at St. Joseph's in Farmington. It was a real treat. I left around 12:45 for my next adventure. I drove straight through to Bridgeport Connecticut. I only stopped for gas and at 2 state visitor welcome centers to get state maps. I didn't make reservations for the ferry 'cuz I had no idea at what time I would arrive, but I knew there was a 6:00 and a 7:00 as well as a 9:00 and a 10:00, so I would be okay no matter what. Much to my surprise, I got to the ferry pier just a little before 6. I had no idea where to go or what to do 'cuz I had only been there once before and that was to drive OFF the ferry not on it. So I rolled down my window and asked 2 guys that were sitting there. They said, "drive down row #4 directly onto the boat." I did that, they ushered me on, 4 more cars got on behind me, the boat was full and we pulled away from the dock. Zero waiting. Yea!!

(I'm standing next to my car and you can see the 4 cars behind me.)

The 45 minute drive from Port Jefferson Long Island to the Godfamily's house actually took me about 70 minutes with a few U-turns along the way (and a stop to take a picture of a street sign with Maggy's last name). Fortunately I had a really good map on my iPhone so I was able to figure out when I had missed a turn and could go back and look for it.

I usually don't drive for long periods of time very well without needing a nap, but this one (broken up by a workshop and a ferry ride) was low-key, hassle-free, and nap-free. I will gladly drive back here next summer for another visit.

No comments: