Saturday, April 19, 2008

4/19/2008 The stuff Urban Legends are made of

I stopped at the Connecticut Visitor's Bureau that's located just inside the state border right off 95 (or whatever Interstate I was on at the time). It was smaller than most and had a concession stand in the middle with a man selling souvenirs. To the side was the desk with what looked like it should be an area with the typical free literature for the state, so I was taken aback when there was a sign that said "maps for sale". I asked if they had a free state map and he said, "Yes we do. They're right here," and he pointed to a small stack on the front of his desk located next to some postcards that were for sale. I admitted to being taken aback at the thought of paying for a state map and he laughed and said, "You know, there was an employee at the visitor's bureau in Maine who lost his job because he was caught taking copies of the tourism book about Maine and selling them in the visitor center parking lot for $1." We laughed, but I was sad that it was a Maine employee. Then I thought, "Is this really true or is it just a great story that visitor bureau employees pass on and they substitute in the name of any state other than the one that employs them?"

No comments: